So, once again, I apologize for not updating my blog sooner, but it has really been a wild couple of weeks. Once again for simplicity I have included headers.
OBAMA!
As the heading suggests, I know the results of the elctions, haha, don't worry news is not that far behind here. In any case, seeing the historic significance of this election, we decided to find a place with cable TV where we could watch the coverage with a 5 hour delay. All 40 of us trainees went to the nicest hotel in Thies and stayed overnight in hteir conference center watching the election. In the ironies of ironies I was awake all night and fell asleep minutes beofre Obama's acceptance speech and missed it! It was a great night nonetheless.
An interesting Senegalese viewpoint about the elections was that they viewed it in raw terms. They saw it as a minority winning against the majority. Something that rarely happens in Senegal or in Africa. To this day people here congratulate America on its democratic and clean election. I have not had the heart to tell them that even if McCain had won it would have been a democratic election! In any case, Obama winning has made me infinitely more popular here and I am very proud of the results!
Officially a Peace Corps Volunteer!
A few days after Obama's win we had Swear-in! We all got dressed up, went to Dakar and there was a swearingg-in ceremony at the Ambassadors's house, which was a lot more moving than I had imagined. The event was televised and we were all made into instant celebrities. Perhaps the best part of the day was the amazing food at the Embassy (hamburguers, guacamole, shrimp, brownies, etc, etc). Needless to say we thoroughly enjoyed the food they had out for us. Afterwards we clebrated by the pool and prepared to head out to our sites.
Installation!
Less than 48 hours after swear-in, I was off to Kaolack (my regional capital), to do some shopping and get ready for site. On Monday I was driven in the Peace Corps van, with my bike strapped to the top, to Fatick, dropped off at my house, and, proverbially, I watched the van pull off in the sunset. Yes, I felt lonely, but it was also SO EXCITING!
Fatick is my new home
First of all, I love it here. I have had an amazing week, my host family has been really welcoming, and I really do have a blessed living situation. I am very lucky to have running water, electricty, a kitchen, a living room, a bedroom, and overhead fans! Itsmore space than I may have in my entire life.
Fatick has been so fascinating and different from the village. Most people here are very well educated, so people are a lot less suprised to see a white person and they often greet in French and make conversation. They read the newspaper and watch TV so they know exactly what a Peace Corps volunteer is, and they have been extremely welcoming.
Part of the difference comes from the fact that Fatick is majority Serere, not Wolof, and although most people speak wOLOF? The culture is a lot less aggressiv and a lot less in-your-face than the Wolof. I have felt so welcomed here, and a big part of that is my counterpart and his family which have welcomed me with open arms, showedme around, helped me go shopping, and helped me find my way around the city. They are great!
A day in the life of a health volunteer
Today has been one of the wildest days so far. My counterpart is out of town and my supervisor asked me if I would like to go with her to an AIDS Awareness event in a neighboring village. I glqdly accepted; and at 10 am we were off!
We were welcomed to the town by dancing, singing, and a story from the town griot (like a town crier), and as often happens I was brought to a chair and watched the whole show in the first row. Soon that ended and after a few speeches I was asked to speak about Peace Corps and the importance of getting tested IN WOLOF! I uccesfull uttered a few words nd was greeted by thunderous applause! After that the director of the school congratulated me on Obama and wished him the best of luck in the next presidential term!
Seconds after I was helping the doctors do the quick HIV tests and then after I sat with the doctors as they explained people their results. It was mostly good news, but it was truly heartwrenching watching someone find out they were positive. It was really hard to watch and emotionally draining. I have new respect for health workers everywhere. After lunch we did a few more tests and headed home, but it has been one of the most interesting days I have had in country.
Sorry once again for the brevity; but my internet time is fast expiring. I luckily now live in a city with a cyber cafe, so I will posting more often. Until next time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
HAHAHA, guess what?! I fell asleep mintues before Obama's acceptance speech too! sigh... I downloaded it the next morning :P
Post a Comment