Asalaa Malekum everybody!
I am writing this post from my site! Before you get too excited, I qm only here fir a few days visiting. I will be going back to Thies on Thursday and to the village next week. The big news is that Fatick will be my home for the nxt two years! Once again I have gone too long without an entry and so I need to catch all of you up on the last two, VERY EXCITING, weeks. So read on...
The Beach
In case I ever doubted that this was an awesome job, we got piled into an ACed bus (Alxumdulillah, thank god!) and went to the beach on a field trip with my small enterprise technical class. We went a town called Popenguine, which has a beautiful sea side view and some great scenery. We went back to Popenguine recently for an amazing beach weekend with all the volunteers. I self-appointed myself a member of the cooking committee. Making spaghetti and pancakes for 40 people was fun and it made the time pass so much better. The ocean was perfect temperature, it was great. The only bad side was exposure to Senegal's booming sex trade, second only to Thailand. Prostitution is legal in Senegal and tourists (mostly French and mostly women) come to Senegal for a week and usually have an escort that accompanies them around. Seeing the old French men and women with young attractive Senegalese was anything but attractive. Its an unfortunate patr of life here in Senegal, especially at the beach.
Village Frustrations
Korite (and the long night after...)
So, after an exhausting week, came Korite. The official end of Ramadan, and although I was expecting a very long day of cultural experiences it turned out to be a lot like Thanksgiving. The entire extended family came home and we ate and slept under a tree all day. It was a great restful day where I was able to practice some Wolof and enjoy the company of others without class! That night however, was anything but calm, there was a huge dance party where young people go to release from a month of fasting. It was really fun but extremely surreal. Everyone was dancing to Senegalese music, Akon, and the real kicker, Celine Dion! They love her here! It was a fun, exhausting night! Senegalese dance by flailing their legs and hopping up and down, and they were so welcoming that I f course gave it a try and embarrassed myself, but they like it that we try.
After an exhausting Korite we were awoken by the Peace Corps van at 7 am, and it was back to the center!
Drumroll please...
When we got to the center we all found out we were getting our site placements.
We are all so nervous and then, after being blidfolded and placed on a map, I found out, I was going to......
Fatick, home sweet home for the next two years!!!!
That is all for now, we are going back to the village tomorrow and then to Dakar for a couple days, I can't wait!
Peace out, club scout.
7 comments:
Hope your arm is better, stay away from beetles!! Alex got stung by a scorpion here, so it is bad all over! Lots of love to you. We see Andy in a few days!
Daniel I am so happy for you!! Keep on keep on, make us proud. :)
by the way this is erin mccarthy. hahaha
I am listening to Vampire Weekend and thinking of you and our amazing spring break! Miss you. Keep up the good work. ~V.J.J.
congrats daniel!! what's your address now? Can I still send mail to the B.P. 299 address?
Having The Office on the iPod = such a good idea. Laughter really is the best medicine. And not that you need the laughter anymore, because I realize I missed this post a few weeks ago, but I figured a hilarious mental image never hurts, I would like to let you know you can actually envision Grandma hobbling around like an old woman these days since I broke my toe like an idiot last week. Graceful, no?
I'm glad to hear your apartment is so awesome and you're learning so much--I never would have guessed about the Chinese population there that you mentioned in your latest entry. But I'm not surprised about Akon. There seems to be some universal love for him...or maybe it's just Poland and Senegal.
Miss you!
Nicore :)
Danial, Through some un usual circustances, I got your blog and email address. I will send you an email with my address. I have a few questions. Locally we have the best beef jerky factory. They also make hunter sticks that are out of this world.. They are vacume sealed. Should I send some ?? How long is the trip ?? Hang in there. Waiting for your next blog.. Uncle Dale Superdoc
Post a Comment